Development Manager & Grant Writer
The Middle East Policy Council is searching for a methodical and strategic development manager and grant writer to work with our organization in identifying new sources of funding in alignment with existing programs, while working with MEPC to develop new sustainable and effective programs for potential support and identifying and cultivating new donors. Duties for this position will include establishing the organization's office of development. The position with also manage overall grant efforts, including drafting and reviewing proposals and other associated application materials with the support of MEPC board and staff, optimizing the grant administration process, preparing progress reports, ensuring compliance with grant regulations, managing grant databases, engaging with donors and foundations, and integrating the MEPC staff in grant development and management efforts.
The ideal candidate for this role will have superior initiative, event planning experience, strategic relationship management skills, organizational skills, exceptional teamwork research and technical writing skills, and strong leadership qualities.
- Determines proposal concept by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs and studying requests for proposal (RFPs)
- Develops proposals by assembling information, including project objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation
- Writes, revises, and edits drafts including executive summaries and conclusions
- Obtains approvals by reviewing proposals with MEPC leadership and key stakeholders
- Meets proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, approval and submission
- Enters and monitors grant tracking data
- Coordinates grant requirements and tracking with team members and conducts regular grant informational and review meetings
- Develops and maintains appropriate grant-funding informational networks
- Takes initiative for exploring new opportunities
- Complies with all grant reporting as required by donors
- Strategic outreach, event planning and program management
- Ability to delegate and oversee ad hoc teams
- Performs other duties as assigned
Executive Director, Bassima Alghussein
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of five to seven years’ experience in development, grant writing, prospect research, and general fundraising
- Advanced experience and knowledge in Microsoft Office 365 programs (Excel, Word, Power Point, One Drive) and Google Workspace
Compensation and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and work sample to: Balghussein@mepc.org
The Middle East Policy Council encourages university students to apply for internships. During their time at the Middle East Policy Council, interns should expect to gain insight into the professional work of a nonprofit organization. Interns can look forward to:
• Working alongside the different employees at the office
• Working on the organization's PR - social media updates and web presence
• Assisting in proofreading, copyediting, and overall production of the journal for one issue cycle
• Helping plan and organize a quarterly Capitol Hill conference
• Administering the front desk (phone and email services) and completing office management tasks
• Contributing to educational outreach efforts
Interns can also expect to stay up to date on events happening in the region and to be closer to news sources, be it through the Middle East Policy journal or the topical conferences around DC. Interns should have strong writing skills, be detail-oriented and able to multi-task and manage their time efficiently. Upon completion of the internship, the intern is expected to be more familiar with the work of a nonprofit organization and have a more thorough and in-depth understanding of Middle East issues.
To apply for an internship, send a cover letter, resume, and a 2 page writing sample to Megan Geissler: MGeissler@mepc.org.
Summer: March 30
Fall: July 30
Winter/Spring: November 30